Strong winds are on the horizon that can cause hazardous and unsafe conditions, especially around electricity. High wind events can be very common around New Mexico from March through June, and with high winds in the forecast for this week, PNM has some helpful tips to keep you and your family safe.
Proper planning can help keep PNM customers safe during strong weather.
- Wind may blow tree branches or other objects into powerlines. Never attempt to remove anything from the lines. Stay away and call us at 888-DIAL-PNM.
- Stay away from downed or sagging power lines, and consider them and anything touching them, energized and dangerous. Stay as far away from the scene as possible and immediately contact PNM at 888-DIAL-PNM.
- If a power line falls across a vehicle that you are in, stay in the car, if possible. Call 911 and wait until first responders and PNM can work together to clear the scene.
Even if the state is not under a high wind advisory, winds can still present certain safety concerns. Below are some additional tips to consider when going outside to enjoy the spring weather.
- Always fly kites, drones, and model aircraft in open areas, away from power poles, overhead power lines and substations.
- Never attempt to retrieve a kite or device that is caught in a power line or that falls into a substation. Instead, call us at 888-DIAL-PNM.
- Keep Metallic party balloons indoors as they can cause fires and power outages if released into the air.
With headquarters in Albuquerque, PNM is the largest electricity provider in New Mexico, serving more than 530,000 customers in dozens of communities across the state. PNM strives to create enduring value for customers, communities and shareholders built on a foundation of Environmental, Social and Governance Principles. At the core of our business, we are focused on our vision of creating a clean and bright energy future, our purpose of working together with our customers and community to serve their energy needs, and our values of safety, caring, and integrity. Visit PNM.com for more information.