Help us support local, independent news.
100% of reader donations support our local journalists.
For less than a subscription to the Journal for one reader, you can keep our news free for everyone in ABQ.
Making Valentine’s Day special is really important considering the year we have just had. A simple cannabis edible, purchased or homemade, is a great way to show your loved one or family member how much they mean to you. Shop local at your New Mexico medical cannabis dispensaries for THC/CBD cannabis edibles if you or your loved one has a medical cannabis card. If you want to bake a sweet treat, a variety of CBD oils are also available for purchase at your local smoke shop and online. Medicinal grade THC/CBD is available at local dispensaries. There are some great treats out there in the medical cannabis world.
For variety and “homemade flavor,” Cannaceuticals and Verdes top the list. Cannaceuticals has CannaBrownie, CannaFudge, chocolate espresso beans or the decadent CannaGold Bar. And they have ice cream! Their CannaIceCream flavors are always flipping up—call to see what’s on the lineup. If you want to make something special at home for yourself or your loved one, get a 1/2 stick of their salted CannaButter. Excellent for making your brownies or cookies, any baked goods or a cheesy bowl of mac.
At Verdes you’ll find a wide variety of edibles including gummies, hard candies, chocolate and white cheddar cannabis crackers. Taste the love with Verdes Cupid Cookies and treat yourself to some comfort. Made with love by Verdes! CG has the Elevated Sativa 300mg Chocolate Bar or the Elevated Hard Candy 100mg Sativa in a variety of flavors. For those who love lemons, Urban Wellness has pink lemonade gummies (100mg) and a lemonade 40mg drink.
Shift New Mexico has the hard-to-find High Flyer Vegan 420mg Dark Chocolate, and Everest carries a wide range of edibles including sugar-free candy drops, lollipops and the Elevated Sleepy Time Milk Chocolate. Ultra Health has cannabis-infused edibles including hard candies, chocolates, baked goods, pastilles and more.
Making sweet CBD/THC-infused Valentine’s goodies is great if you have time on your hands, which a lot of us do nowadays, and you enjoy creative cooking or baking. Here are some cannabis-infused recipes that are easy to make. CBD/THC can help you and your loved one relax and unwind to get in the mood for hugs.
Cannabis-infused chocolate can make anyone’s heart melt. One Valentine’s Day favorite is always chocolate-covered strawberries. They are fast and easy to prepare. Adjust the CBD serving size depending on how many strawberries you each plan on eating. This recipe can also be used with sweet and salty chocolate-covered pretzel sticks. Yummy!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries—Cannabis Style
- 1 pound fresh strawberries with stems on
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-2 servings of CBD oil tincture
- 16 ounces milk chocolate chips or 60 to 70 percent dark chocolate chips
- Optional white chocolate for drizzle
- Rinse your strawberries and pat or air dry.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or foil.
- Melt the shortening over medium-low heat in a double boiler.
- As soon as it is melted, whisk in the CBD oil.
- Immediately add the chocolate and stir constantly until it is melted.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and dip the strawberries by the stem into the chocolate. Lay them on the lined cookie sheet to harden.
- Melt a tiny bit of white chocolate with a small dab of shortening and drizzle it on top of your strawberries to create a beautiful contrast.
Wondering how to make CBD CannaButter? It really is easy and can be used as a replacement in any of your favorite baked treat recipes that call for butter. Cannaceuticals have 1/2 stick of their salted CannaButter if you have a card and no time.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 ounce cannabis (CBD strain)
- 1 teaspoon sunflower lecithin
- Decarboxylate your CBD cannabis by spreading your cannabis evenly on an oven tray and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place in the oven on 240 F/115 C for 25 to 45 minutes, and then let it cool.
- Place the cannabis in a strong mason jar, add butter and 1 teaspoon of sunflower lecithin.
- Place your closed jar in cold water and let it come to a boil. Boil for 2 to 3 hours.
- Strain through a sieve or cheesecloth.
- Let it cool down. Your CBD cannabutter is done and ready to use.
No-Bake CBD-Infused Cheesecake
- 1/2 cup CBD butter melted
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup fresh fruit of choice to top over top when cake is done
- 1 drizzle chocolate or caramel or sauce of choice!
- Add melted CannaButter, graham cracker crumbs and sugar, in a small bowl.
- Make sure crackers are totally coated in butter.
- Pour into an 8 x 8 cake pan, spread evenly.
- Press the crackers into the bottom of the pan to pack the crust together.
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt in a bowl. Using a mixer, mix until soft and smooth.
- Add the cream and mix to combine. Once mixed well, increase the speed and whip for 3 to 5 minutes. Pour over the crust. Refrigerate a minimum of 8 hours.