Help us support local, independent news.
100% of reader donations support our local journalists.
For less than a subscription to the Journal for one reader, you can keep our news free for everyone in ABQ.
Valentine’s Day is coming soon, and most of us in lockdown are wondering how you can still show your loved ones you care. There are still lots of things to do with each other. Valentine’s Day is a great excuse for a well-deserved treat day. Plan a date day at home and treat yourself to your favorite takeaway. Set up a movie night, and watch that one you just never seem to find the time to enjoy. Take a social distanced walk to locations where you have shared special times together and chat about your favorite memories. Plan a games night. For some, strip poker, truth or dare or dusting off the Monopoly board make for an exciting night.
Try writing a love letter to your partner to add a smile to their face and let them know how much you care. If cards and flowers aren’t your thing, then consider some cannabis-inspired gifts and experiences your sweetie is sure to love. The right environment can make all the difference. Set the mood this Valentine’s Day and create a home spa for yourself or loved one with cannabis-infused bath bombs. Can you feel the relaxation already kicking in? Add a scented candle and you are good to go.
Show your partner how much you care about their comfort and happiness by offering them a massage. Use cannabis-infused lotions and sensual oils to help your partner relax, unwind and truly appreciate how amazing your hands are. Touching another person can be enough to calm a racing heart, bust the blues and foster a deeper connection.
Check out local smoke shops for a new pipe or safety case. The first hit out of a new pipe or bong is always the best one. Providing somewhere safe and discrete to keep your glass, joints, papers, etc. with a durable safety case is another awesome way to say you care. And almost as important as a stash of leaf, or a stash of functional lighters.
It’s always a good idea to add a fun CBD/THC drink into the mix to honor the most romantic day of the year. You can add CBD to any of your favorite cocktails or beverages. Stirring it in is not enough for your CBD to evenly disperse, so it must be shaken, whisked or blended in. Here are some Valentine’s Day cocktails and drink recipes to celebrate your love connection.
CBD-Infused Mango & Raspberry Bellini
This fruity sparkling drink is perfect to kick off an evening of romance. This recipe is enough for you to have 2 drinks each, with a half serving of CBD per cocktail.
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or regular sugar
- 2 servings CBD oil tincture
- 1 bottle of champagne, sparkling wine or sparkling water
- Garnish of choice, either mint or fresh raspberries
- Let the raspberries and mango sit for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add raspberries, mango, sugar, CBD and ½ cup water and ½ cup champagne or sparkling beverage to your blender.
- Blend until smooth. Add a bit more water if needed.
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of your fruity mixture into 2 champagne glasses.
- Top glasses off with champagne, sparkling wine, or sparkling water.
- Garnish with mint or fresh raspberries. Delicious!
Fresh Peach Bellini Freeze with CBD
- 1 ounce peach schnapps
- 2 fresh peaches (frozen for at least 2 hours)
- 20 milligrams unflavored water-soluble CBD
- 5 ice cubes
- 6 ounces sparkling wine or prosecco
- Grenadine for color
- Combine the schnapps, peaches, CBD (your favorite brand) and ice cubes in a blender.
- Pulse to start breaking up the peaches.
- Add the sparkling wine and grenadine, if you’re using it, and puree until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a champagne flute and serve immediately.
Wild for You Watermelon Mojito
- 1 cup watermelon juice
- 1/4 cup cranberry-pomegranate juice
- splash of soda water
- 1 full dropper of CBD oil
- smashed mint for garnish
Add all contents to the shaker with ice. Shake well. Garnish short cocktail glass with smashed mint.
CBD Elderberry Lemon Mocktail
- 1 ounce of elderberry syrup or a syrup of your choice
- 3/4 ounce of a lemon (use juice and zest)
- 1 full dropper of cannabis tincture
- 1/2 cup of ice
- 1 rosemary sprig for garnish
Add the three top ingredients in a glass over ice, and top off with the fizzy LaCroix to mix them all together.
Turmeric Cherry Limeade
- 2 ounce cherry juice
- 2 ounce sparkling lime water
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Add CBD by your brand’s recommended dose. Be sure to stir the honey and turmeric in well. Adjust any ingredients to your preferred taste.
CBD-Infused Hot Chocolate
Who doesn’t love chocolate? Use any kind of hot chocolate powder that you like, milk chocolate, dark chocolate or flavored. Consider splurging on spicy Mexican hot chocolate or on a gourmet or imported blend like rich and creamy Belgium hot chocolate. Keep this sweet drink nonalcoholic or add in an ounce of Bailey’s Irish Cream or Kahlua.
- 3 cups of your milk of choice
- 2 servings of your hot chocolate powder of choice
- 2 servings CBD oil tincture
- Optional 1 to 2 ounces of Bailey’s or Kahlua
- Whipped cream to top or marshmallows
Heat milk on medium-low heat until it comes to a light simmer. Turn off heat and whisk in the hot chocolate powder and CBD. Whisk your liquor in last. Pour into 2 oversized mugs and top with whipped cream or marshmallows.